Wednesday 19 December 2018

Spots in Savannah

En route home from the AKC National Championship show in Florida, we stopped in Savannah. I have been to Savannah a couple times previously and love the city. It is a gorgeous city, with the idyllic (though regrettably invasive) Spanish moss hanging from the trees, the old cobblestone and brick walkways and stairs (use at your own risk), and the stretch of the Savannah River where you can walk alongside an eclectic selection of charming ferries, olde thyme steamboats, and massive freighters being maneuvered by tugboats.

Rivaling New Orleans for my favourite “Southern USA city”, I love the ambiance and the food. Oh the food…. From delightful craft beer (be sure to check out Moon River brewing) to exceptional seafood (‘Sorry Charlie’s’ is a personal fav) to several quirky and outstanding restaurants like The Grey and Treylor Park. OMG THE FOOD.

Anyway, this was the first time that I was in Savannah with dogs and what a pleasant surprise, Savannah is QUITE dog-friendly. I was meandering along the river, window shopping with the Spots, and was amazed (and delighted) with how many shop owners called out “You are welcome to come in!”. One charming lady assured me I could come in to her coffee shop with the Spot, which I politely declined, we were enjoying our walk plus two exuberant Dalmatians around hot coffee and pastries quite frankly sounded awful. When I declined, she came out of the shop to let me know she had a water bowl if they were thirsty, again, I thanked her but declined, it was not at all warm and we hadn’t been walking all that long. And with the delicate orchid Spots I prefer to keep them to their own water. At this the patron said she would just come and pet them if they weren’t going to come in 😊. How charming!

The Riverwalk afforded MANY photo ops, my favourite being Spots gone Yachting.
We ambled down to the “waving girl” statue and, as they are inclined to do, the Spots insisted on reinacting this historical moment.




I am always up for a trip to Savannah, but now knowing it is dog-friendly I will be even more eager to find a reason to stay there!


Hotel: Red Roof Inn. About 20 mins south of the city. Weirdly they were adamant that there only be one dog in the room – fortunately, we had two rooms so each just claimed one Spot. Pet fee: Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment