Wednesday 31 July 2019

Obedience "trials" and tribulations: Don't be a jerk.

When I started in OB, close to 20 years ago, I found people overall to be very welcoming. Judges were supportive and enthusiastic, competitors were friendly and helpful. After I finished two OTCHs and went on to an OTCHX with my primary obedience dog, my brilliant Italian Greyhound, I took a few year hiatus, the stereotypical "life got in the way". I went back to school to do my MBA, moved across Canada for a new job, and having accomplished all my current OB goals my dogs slipped into retirement, enjoyed their daily hikes and didn't really seem to miss our daily practices :).

When I got a new dog, my magical Dalmatian, I decided to get back into Obedience, among other dog sports. In a new province with a new breed, I felt like a new competitor again, except I came with the confidence of someone who had finished some OTCHs, hit some top ten lists, and "proven" myself.

This time around, I didn't find people quite as welcoming. I had one early experience trialing in the USA. With AKC I am back in "A" or the novice stream, they don't recognize accomplishments from other kennel clubs, so as far as the judge was concerned, it could have been my first time in OB, ever. That morning, under the other judge, Random and I had trialed and she'd done very well, a nice qualifying score in the high 180s. As can happen with young dogs, it all fell apart a bit in the afternoon! We did not qualify, which didn't bother me at all. I expect these things with new dogs (and sometimes not so new dogs!). What was upsetting, though, was the interaction with the judge after. I have become used to judges being very supportive and encouraging, and if not that, then just nothing. This judge decided to pull me aside and lecture me about my dog not being ready. You know what? Maybe she wasn't! I have a tendency to enter too soon...but that's my prerogative, it's my money to waste, it's my dog to enter or not, and without new people entering, this sport will soon be dead.

When I first started in OB there was OB, conformation, or Agility. Then rally came along, a kinder/gentler OB sport. Now, OB trials still compete with conformation, rally, and agility (with several different organizations to choose from), but also with nosework, with barn hunt, with dock diving, with lure coursing and sprinter, and so much more. I used to have to hand deliver entries on the opening evening to ensure I got in, now I regularly am at trials with 10 dogs entered for the entire trial. This would be a good time to be very welcoming to new competitors!

Sadly, getting back into OB, I've also seen a shift in competitors' attitudes. I don't know if that is a result of there being less competitors so all that's left are pretty hard-core people? And don't get me wrong, there are TONS of lovely competitors still. Today I ran into both versions fairly early in my day. I was at a "new to me" trial, so was unfamiliar with the venue and set up. I'd always been taught to show up at least an hour before my ring time, and often show up with more time to spare than that. I find I'm a better competitor if I am relaxed and not feeling rushed. So, I arrived fairly first thing, before the trial had started. The building was at the back of an industrial complex, so after one false start in the wrong parking lot I found the mass of "doggie vehicles" (you know, lots of vans, some SUVs, all kitted out with kennels, fans, blankets, etc. All the necessary doggie accoutrements), and found a spot to park.

I grabbed my collapsible kennels and headed into the building saying a cheery "good morning" to everyone I passed. I'm not, by nature, particularly gregarious, but I believe in making an effort at these events. It's more fun if I have made some connections and chat with my fellow competitors. The third person I passed gave me a stony look in response to my chipper greeting...cool, maybe she didn't hear me, maybe she's not a morning person...whatever. I marched past her into the building and was stopped by her shrill and snarky "you CAN'T kennel in THERE!". Her tone of voice would have made you think that I was planning to kennel on someone's fine china, or perhaps in the midst of a nursery. Nope, just apparently they don't kennel around the ring as it's a tight fit. Cool, every building is different, no big deal, but perhaps there's a friendlier way of getting this message across? I said "ok, no worries, it's my first time at this show so no way for me to know where you kennel or not". She then gestured to an open space in the ante chamber and said "this is all that's left", so I said "neat, guess I will kennel here!". Perhaps my abrupt responses helped her understand that her tone was inappropriate and unnecessary as she then tried to extend an olive branch of sorts and as I was setting up my kennels she asked "so what kind of dogs do you have?". I stopped. Looked up at her. And said "we must have been at 100 different trials together. I know you have xxxxx (dog breed redacted to not identify the culprit of nastiness). She looked at me, then said "oh right, I thought you looked familair". Humph.

Anyway...moral to the story? Don't be a jerk. It isn't necessary, it isn't helpful. It WILL negatively impact the sport. Entries are down, there is a genuine risk of this sport dying. Don't be part of that. Be the person who is welcoming, and encouraging. Share your knowledge. Be friendly. And if you can't be, then just be quiet. If someone is heading where they shouldn't be, let them know (kindly), or don't, they'll figure it out in a minute.

Obedience has really developed a reputation for not being welcoming. That's super sad. And doesn't need to be like that. There's such a wealth of knowledge in the competitors, share it and more people will join!

I do LOVE seeing some truly new people to the sport. There's a lovely girl with a wonderful mini schnauzer that has worked her way through novice and is now in utility and doing well! She is a great addition to the sport and I'm happy to see her chatting with people and hope that she's had the warm welcome she deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment